Stand up paddle boarding (SUP), once only seen on Instagram accounts and fancy resorts, has become a very popular activity available all around the Gilis. On Gili Trawangan you can rent paddleboards from Fly Gili, a small company situated 2 minutes from Broken Compass on the beach. They have great quality boards and provide amazing service. Never done it before? No problem! Just ask for some tips and they will happily show you how.
We try to get our guests together once a week and take them down to the beach to give it a go. It’s great fun and also a good work out. Get ready to work your core! And if you are lucky you will even spot a turtle or two. On a calm day you can easily make it over to Gili Meno in about 20-30minutes. But be careful of the currents and conditions. Always ask the guys at Fly Gili if it’s the right day for it or not.
Here are our top 5 benefits of Stand-up Paddle Boarding:
- Work your balance: the most important aspect of SUP is to keep balanced. Otherwise you are inevitably going to fall in. So engage that core and stabilise those legs
- Full body workout: what could be better than having fun in the sun, floating on turquoise blue water in paradise and at the same time toning those abs after too many dirty fries at Broken Compass??
- Stress release: being relaxed is also very important when SUP’ing. Long deep breaths are a must, making it is a great sport for calming your nervous system
- Calorie burning: in one hour you will burn on average 300-400 calories! That definitely beats the gym
- Enjoy nature: breath in the fresh air, feel relaxed by the waves and enjoy spotting the marine life of the Gili islands. Being connected to nature also has a positive effect on your mental health
Remember Baz Luhrmann’s wise words and wear sunscreen!